The Hon. Greg Combet AM MP
Minister for Climate Change and Energy Efficiency
Senator the Hon. Joe Ludwig
Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
The Hon. Mark Dreyfus MP
Parliamentary Secretary for Climate Change and Energy Efficiency
Land Sector Working Group members announced
The Gillard Government today announced the members of the Land Sector Working Group to examine the benefits and opportunities for the land sector under a carbon price.
The Land Sector Working Group is one of a number of groups established by the Government to consult with stakeholders on the design of the carbon price mechanism.
Advice from the group will help inform the position that the Government takes to the Multi-Party Climate Change Committee.
“This group will help inform the design of the carbon price mechanism to ensure all land based sectors of the economy are well placed for a smooth transition to a low carbon future,” Minister for Climate Change and Energy Efficiency, Greg Combet, said.
“The Government is aware of the need for the land based sector to move towards a low carbon future while enhancing productivity and the best way to achieve this is by working with experts across primary industries.”
Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Joe Ludwig, said this group will provide the Government with invaluable advice on the opportunities presented by putting a price on carbon and on the Carbon Farming Initiative.
“The Government has already confirmed that agricultural emissions will not be included in a carbon price mechanism,” Minister Ludwig said.
“However there are opportunities for the agricultural sector to participate in abatement measures through the Carbon Farming Initiative in order to reduce the effects of climate change.”
Parliamentary Secretary for Climate Change and Energy Efficiency, Mark Dreyfus, said the Government is consulting widely on its approach to tackling climate change.
“To inform the debate, we have selected a broad range of representatives principally from the primary industries sector, including many experienced farmers and landholders.”
The Land Sector Working Group will meet in early May and during the development of the carbon price mechanism legislation.
19 April 2011
Members of the Land Sector Working Group:
• Mr David Farley, Managing Director, AA Co
• Mr Graham Tupper, National Liaison Manager, Australian Conservation Foundation
• Mr Allan Hansard, Transitional Chief Executive Officer, Australian Forest Products Association (NAFI and A3P merged)
• Mr Tom Maguire, Chair, AMIC Climate Change Committee, Australian Meat Industry Council
• Mr Enzo Allara, Chair, Australian Pork Limited
• Ms Caryn Kakas, Executive Director, Australian Property Council
• Mr Mark Day, Chairman, Australian Sugar Milling Council
• Mr Richard Mulcahy, Chief Executive Officer, AusVeg
• Mr Peter Balsarini, Chief Executive Officer, Carbon Conscious
• Mr Neil Wandel, Chairman, CBH
• Mr Andrew Grant, Chief Executive Officer, CO2 Group
• Mr Doug Eddy, Federal President, Dairy Industry Association of Australia (Australian Dairy Industry Council)
• Mr Malcolm Jackman, Chief Executive Officer, Elders
• Mr Terry Edwards, Chief Executive Officer, Forest Industries Association of Tasmania
• Mr David Ginns, Corporate Affairs Manager, GrainCorp
• Mr Peter Melville, Manager, Natural Resources and Climate, Horticulture Australia Limited
• Mr John Berry, Director, JBS Swift
• Prof Snow Barlow, Member of Australian Landcare Council, Landcare
• Mr Robert Poole, General Manager Industry and Government Affairs, Murray-Goulburn Co-operative
• Mr Joe Morrison, Chief Executive Officer, North Australian Indigenous Land and Sea Management Alliance
• Mr Jock Laurie, President, National Farmers Federation
• Dr Sarah Ryan, National NRM Regions' Working Group, NRM groups chair of regional chairs
• Mr Richard Haire, Chief Executive Officer, Qld Cotton Corp
• Mr Darren Thomas, Chief Executive Officer, T&R Pastoral
• Mr John Connor, Chief Executive Officer, The Climate Institute
• Mr Gary Hughes, Executive Manager – Malt Division, Viterra
• Mr Jonathan Green, Manager of Natural Resources, Winemakers Federation
• Mr Greg Wellar, Executive Director, Wool Producers Australia
• Dr Andreas Dubs, Executive Director, Australian Chicken Meat Federation Australia